Finding joy in life is a never ending quest for most of us. We are always ready to list out our complaints and problems and seek various types of solutions. But looking at the bigger picture, we need not break our heads over issues that agitate us when it is surprisingly simple to experience joy in life. Mostly we are looking in the wrong places when true bliss lies in everyday stuff that we are too busy to consider. To really enjoy life is an art as we need to condition our minds to experience happiness in the things around us. Following are few tips to extract small pleasures in a meaningful manner, thus paving way to a heart filled with joy.
- Reflect on the blessings of the Almighty. Enumerate them and enjoy each one of them, it’s as simple as that. To acknowledge the gifts bestowed upon us by God requires a profound sense of character, which can be gained by being grateful to Our Lord.
- Do something new everyday. It can be as simple as rearranging furniture to trying a new life hack you saw on YouTube. Getting out of monotony on a regular basis is crucial to revitalization.
- Teach kids something useful. Their unprejudiced minds are ready to take in anything new that appeals to them, and offer rightful acknowledgement to our efforts in showing them something good.
- Everything is not a competition. Everything is not about winning and losing. There is a joy in mediocrity that is incomparable. This doesn’t mean that there is no need to achieve. Point is, let there not be an ulterior motive in everything you do.
- Get some fresh air. Don’t make bad weather an excuse to be pooped indoors. This may not be always easy for those living in conservative societies (like mine), but find ways to go out. At least, open a window to let outside air and sounds drift in.
- Don’t make excuses to not work. Work can actually lift up your spirits when you give a good output. Key here is to do jobs that you are good at.
- Drink lots of water throughout the day. Make sure you are sitting and intake in few sips (don’t gulp it down). The true elixir of life energizes you like none other.
- Like yourself when you look in the mirror. If your complexion, wrinkles, graying hair or weight bothers you, focus on the good things. Try a different hairdo or an outfit.
- Don’t let to-do lists rule your life at all times. Being spontaneous can refresh the mind and the soul and give a suitable outlet to your innermost passion.
- If you don’t like something, don’t do it. Don’t force yourself to do something for the sake of family and society. This may seem the hardest of all the tips I have given here, but it is actually the most intense one. Learn to be assertive and project your individuality. It’s better to say no at the beginning itself instead of doing things that you will regret later.
~ Fahima Yousouf